Call me today for a 15 minute consultation
David R. Hartwig, Esq.
Family Law & Divorce
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Veteran Military Discount

When Circumstances Change After Divorce

When a divorce is finalized in Utah, there are many smaller agreements included in the order to dissolve the marriage. Child custody and support, spousal support, property division, retirement accounts and many other issues create ongoing obligations that are determined based on the circumstances that exist at the time of the divorce.

Some of these commitments cannot be changed once the divorce is finalized — but others can: custody, visitation (or parenting time), support and alimony may be changed if the circumstances of the spouses change to a sufficient degree.

Helping You With A Complex Process

The requirements for making modifications to a divorce agreement are very specific and can become quite complicated. Having an experienced divorce attorney helping you can make the process go more smoothly and greatly improve your chances of success. Contact me, a lawyer based in Salt Lake City who can assist with modifications of court orders.

What Kinds Of Orders Can Be Changed?

Since 1984, I have helped clients throughout the state make changes to their agreements in order to better suit their current circumstances. As a solo practitioner, I provide personalized, respectful service to every client I serve and return all phone calls promptly, most within one business day.

I help clients with modifications of court orders, including:

  • Child custody
  • Child support
  • Parent time
  • Visitation
  • Alimony
  • Spousal support
  • Parental relocation

I am also able to assist when you are having problems enforcing an order of custody/parent time, or paying child support or alimony, in both simple and high-conflict domestic cases.

Contact A Lawyer You Can Rely On

Modifications require “a material change in circumstances” to be successful, and the court has minimum criteria that must be met. Contact me, David R. Hartwig, Esq., an attorney who can assist with the modification of child support and custody awards. I will discuss the merits of your case and show you all the ways I can help.

I am David R. Hartwig, Esq., a Salt Lake City attorney with extensive experience helping parents resolve simple or high-conflict custody issues reaching arrangements that work for children and parents. Child custody involves parent-time and visitation schedules, and can affect support. I help in all of these areas, providing comprehensive service clients need to achieve their custody goals.

Factors In Child Custody Decisions

As an experienced Utah child custody lawyer, I understand that custody cases may become a contentious issue even years after an order is finalized. The trend in Utah toward joint custody often creates messy, unworkable situations, which ultimately lead to enforcement issues when parents do not abide by their custody orders.

The best interests of the child must be considered, including:

• Whether joint legal or physical custody will benefit the child’s physical, psychological and emotional needs, or the child’s development

• The parents’ ability to give first priority to the child’s welfare, and reach shared decisions in the child’s best interest

• Whether each parent is capable of encouraging and accepting a positive relationship between the child and the other parent

• Whether both parents participated in raising the child before the divorce

• The distance between the parents’ homes

• The parents’ maturity and their willingness and ability to protect the child from conflict that may arise between the parents

• The parents’ ability to cooperate with each other and make decisions jointly

• Any history of, or potential for, child abuse, spouse abuse, or kidnapping

• Any other factors the court finds relevant

Despite the complicated and sensitive nature of custody matters, I have helped many clients successfully establish custody orders.

Get Help With Your Child Custody Issue

If you have a child custody issue, please contact me, David R. Hartwig, Esq. I am an experienced Salt Lake City custody lawyer dedicated to helping clients resolve complex custody issues and implement necessary custody orders. For high-conflict cases, I am also one of the few Utah child custody modification attorneys trained as a Special Master for ongoing dispute resolution.