Call me today for a 15 minute consultation
David R. Hartwig, Esq.
Family Law & Divorce
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Veteran Military Discount

Can Child Support Be Changed?

My name is David R. Hartwig, and I am a child support modification lawyer located in Salt Lake City with more than 30 years of experience practicing law. Over the course of my legal career, I have assisted many parents with child support modifications, including support reductions and requests for additional support. I strive to meet all of my clients’ child support needs. I also handle child support modifications and enforcement of support orders, which may be necessary to resolve ongoing support issues.

Understanding The Child Support Modification Process In Utah

One of the primary responsibilities of lawyers is to help clients determine if they realistically qualify for a child support modification, either by motion or petition. The grounds to modify a support order by motion are:

  • There is a difference of 10 percent or more between the support amount as ordered and the support amount as required under Utah’s child support guidelines
  • It has been three or more years since the order was entered
  • Change in income is not temporary
  • The proposed child support amount is consistent with the guidelines

A petition to modify child support must be filed. If fewer than three years have passed since the original support order was entered, there must have also been a material change in one of the following areas for a modification to be granted:

  • Custody
  • The relative wealth or assets of the parties
  • A change of 30 percent or more in the child custody agreement
  • Employment potential and ability of a parent to earn
  • Medical needs of the child
  • Legal responsibilities of a parent for the support of others
  • Availability or cost of health care coverage
  • Work-related or education-related child care expenses of the payer or payee
  • Emancipation of a child

I look at a child’s needs and a parent’s income to accurately determine how a child support modification may apply in a given situation. On behalf of many clients, I have achieved support arrangements that better reflect the financial and family dynamics of the parties involved.

Cases Involving Multiple States Or Jurisdictions

I have helped parents modify child support orders in cases where the controlling order was entered in a state other than Utah, and I have facilitated support modifications in cases where a child or parent moved to another state or country. I understand the application of complicated jurisdictional laws, such as the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), and can ably assist clients in parent and child relocation matters. I am also one of the few Utah child support modification attorneys who is a Special Master, which means I am especially qualified to handle high-conflict situations. Special Master certification requires extra training in conflict resolution, and courts will sometimes call on Special Masters to resolve difficult situations. In addition, I help clients in modification and enforcement of the support orders.

Get Help When Circumstances Change

If you need the assistance of a divorce modification lawyer, please contact me, David R. Hartwig, Esq., for a consultation. Not only will I help you determine whether you are eligible for a child support modification, but also explore every option to achieve a support arrangement that accommodates your child’s needs and your income.