David R. Hartwig, ESQ.
Attorney & Counselor At Law
Call Today! 801-833-0822

Divorce Conflict? How to pick a Special Master?

If you are reading this, then you know that a Special Master can be used in situations where there is high-conflict in a divorce or custody case; or after the case, if the conflict continues or worsens. But, how do you find a Special Master.

Currently, in Utah, there is no official setting or honorarium. Almost anyone can hang out their shingle and claim to offer Special Master services. Most often, these people are attorneys. But that alone may not make a Special Master.

Having admitted that there is no controlling authority presently, I believe a Special Master should have experience in family law; receiving advanced training in Parenting Coordination, and the special issues and difficulties on parenting coordination; maintain a professional relationship with a national or international society dedicated to studying and resolving family law conflicts; and, maintain that training and experience.

For example: I have practiced in the family law arena since 1986 (31+ years); I subsequently took the time, and spent the money, to receive training at Loyola College of Law on Advanced Issues in Child Custody, and Advanced Practice in Parenting Coordination, sponsored by the international Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC); I have attended additional training provided by AFCC; and, I am a member of that Organization. All of that Special Master Training has occurred over the past 10+ years. And, I have been appointed in a number of cases as a Special Master.

So, if you are experiencing continued family law conflict, and you are looking a a Special Master, these are the kinds of things I think you should look for.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


David R. Hartwig, Esq.
1817 S. Main Street
Ste 17
Salt Lake City, UT 84115

Phone: 801-833-0822
Phone: 801-486-1715
Salt Lake City Law Office Map