t still amazes me how many requests for help I read on the various services where people say they need help with this or that issue, which they never addressed in the original divorce case. Things like custody, visitation, support, property, debts, and the like, all...
Month: January 2017
I've already written about being careful what you post on social media. But you also need to be careful what you post on any of the various legal opinion sites. It is amazing some the the admissions people make on the various legal opinion sites. I've seen admissions...
This issue, grandparents' visitation, still appears to have conflict associated with it, despite an earlier post. I have even read some posts from other attorney sites that add to the confusion. The Utah statute remains unchanged. A grandparent can file a petition for...
I am David R. Hartwig, Esq., a Salt Lake City attorney with extensive experience helping parents resolve simple or high-conflict custody issues reaching arrangements that work for children and parents. Child custody involves parent-time and visitation schedules, and can affect support. I help in all of these areas, providing comprehensive service clients need to achieve their custody goals.
Factors In Child Custody Decisions
As an experienced Utah child custody lawyer, I understand that custody cases may become a contentious issue even years after an order is finalized. The trend in Utah toward joint custody often creates messy, unworkable situations, which ultimately lead to enforcement issues when parents do not abide by their custody orders.
The best interests of the child must be considered, including:
• Whether joint legal or physical custody will benefit the child’s physical, psychological and emotional needs, or the child’s development
• The parents’ ability to give first priority to the child’s welfare, and reach shared decisions in the child’s best interest
• Whether each parent is capable of encouraging and accepting a positive relationship between the child and the other parent
• Whether both parents participated in raising the child before the divorce
• The distance between the parents’ homes
• The parents’ maturity and their willingness and ability to protect the child from conflict that may arise between the parents
• The parents’ ability to cooperate with each other and make decisions jointly
• Any history of, or potential for, child abuse, spouse abuse, or kidnapping
• Any other factors the court finds relevant
Despite the complicated and sensitive nature of custody matters, I have helped many clients successfully establish custody orders.
Get Help With Your Child Custody Issue
If you have a child custody issue, please contact me, David R. Hartwig, Esq. I am an experienced Salt Lake City custody lawyer dedicated to helping clients resolve complex custody issues and implement necessary custody orders. For high-conflict cases, I am also one of the few Utah child custody modification attorneys trained as a Special Master for ongoing dispute resolution.