Call me today for a free 15 minute consultation 801-833-0822
David R. Hartwig, Esq.
Family Law & Divorce Attorney & Counselor at Law Veteran Military Discount

Establishing & Modifying Visitation

For more than 30 years I, David R. Hartwig, have advocated for clients seeking visitation (in Utah, "parent-time") rights, or alterations to an existing visitation order. Children need to have regular contact with family members for many years after a divorce or separation is finalized. Extended families may also wish to ensure that they can spend time with a child whose parents are divorced.

I help parents, grandparents and other family members understand Utah parent-time laws and apply them to their individual circumstances and dynamics. As your advocate, I can help you obtain the legal rights to spend time with a child after divorce or separation; whether you were married or not.

What Are My Visitation Options?

With joint legal custody, both parents have the right to make important decisions about the child. Generally this works best with open communication between parents. If you have joint legal custody, you still may have:

  • Joint physical custody
  • Sole physical custody
  • Shared physical custody
  • Custody depending on the terms of your order

Most custody orders require that both parents cooperate on parent-time schedules to make sure they work. Often the custody orders will specify a schedule for parent time, usually the statutory provisions, being along the lines of:

  • Alternate weekends
  • One evening each week
  • A specific schedule for holidays and vacation times

The parties can agree to a different schedule, but that agreement should be in writing and filed as a part of the order. Doing this prevents future conflict and "he said, she said" arguments.

If the parents live more that 150 miles apart, then the so-called long-distance statute is put into place, again specifying dates and times for parent time.

The visitation orders should also include who does the transporting of the children, and where the pickup and drop-off will occur.

Changing A Visitation Schedule

Although your orders may be what you decided in your original divorce or paternity order, with time, you may now be experiencing increased difficulties or there have been changes or problems with the schedule and you wish to file for a modification. Modifying parent-time

What Happens When One Parent Moves?

When one parent moves a long distance away (in Utah, 150 miles or more), your parent-time orders may no longer work. You may want to move out of state for personal or work-related reasons. Utah usually requires that you give your ex-spouse at least 60 days' notice if you plan on taking your child with you. That intended move will cause problems for the other parent, and you will need help in resolving the parent-time problems associated with your move.

Visitation For Grandparents

Grandparents in Utah may petition the court directly to request visitation (parent time) of a grandchild after the parents' divorce or separation. Grandparents may also request visitation rights as part of other custody or visitation proceedings. A court may allow a modification to a grandparent visitation if it is in the best interest of the child, and one or more of the following circumstances are present:

  • The grandchild, the grandparent or parent, or guardian has had a major change of circumstance, or the current visitation order does not meet current needs
  • There is question as to whether the grandparent or parent is fit to have visitation or the guardian is denying or unreasonably limiting visitation
  • The grandparent has acted as custodian or the grandchild and grandparent have a "substantial relationship," and severing this relationship would be harmful to the child
  • The parent has died or is no longer the custodial parent due to divorce or legal separation
  • The child's parent is missing for an extended period of time

As a parent-time rights attorney advocate, I use my knowledge to help grandparents when they need to modify a visitation agreement.

De-Escalating Conflict

When individuals feel they need to access the courts to see a child or a grandchild, generally there is a certain amount of animosity or challenging circumstances. As an attorney, I am especially prepared to handle high-conflict matters and provide options for negotiating viable solutions for your visitation needs, or filing a petition, if required.

I am also one of the few family law attorneys in Utah certified as a Special Master, which means that I have extensive training in high-conflict situations. If I agree to be or am appointed by the court as a Special Master, I am prepared to handle high-conflict matters and provide input, and answers, based upon your parent-time order, while addressing your parent-time needs without the need of an extended court battle.

Get Help With Your Visitation Needs

As an accomplished attorney with more than 30 years of experience, I have helped reunite parents and grandparents with their children and grandchildren respectively and helped improve visitation through establishing or renegotiating parent-time agreements or orders. To learn how I can help you, contact me, David R. Hartwig, Esq., at 801-833-0822. I am conveniently located in Salt Lake City and help families throughout Utah.

I am David R. Hartwig, Esq., a Salt Lake City attorney with extensive experience helping parents resolve simple or high-conflict custody issues reaching arrangements that work for children and parents. Child custody involves parent-time and visitation schedules, and can affect support. I help in all of these areas, providing comprehensive service clients need to achieve their custody goals.

Factors In Child Custody Decisions

As an experienced Utah child custody lawyer, I understand that custody cases may become a contentious issue even years after an order is finalized. The trend in Utah toward joint custody often creates messy, unworkable situations, which ultimately lead to enforcement issues when parents do not abide by their custody orders.

The best interests of the child must be considered, including:

• Whether joint legal or physical custody will benefit the child's physical, psychological and emotional needs, or the child's development

• The parents' ability to give first priority to the child's welfare, and reach shared decisions in the child's best interest

• Whether each parent is capable of encouraging and accepting a positive relationship between the child and the other parent

• Whether both parents participated in raising the child before the divorce

• The distance between the parents' homes

• The parents' maturity and their willingness and ability to protect the child from conflict that may arise between the parents

• The parents' ability to cooperate with each other and make decisions jointly

• Any history of, or potential for, child abuse, spouse abuse, or kidnapping

• Any other factors the court finds relevant

Despite the complicated and sensitive nature of custody matters, I have helped many clients successfully establish custody orders.

Get Help With Your Child Custody Issue

If you have a child custody issue, please contact me, David R. Hartwig, Esq. I am an experienced Salt Lake City custody lawyer dedicated to helping clients resolve complex custody issues and implement necessary custody orders. For high-conflict cases, I am also one of the few Utah child custody modification attorneys trained as a Special Master for ongoing dispute resolution.

Contact Me

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us