Child & Parent Relocation

Devising solutions for parents moving away in Utah and Salt Lake City

Parenting time can be greatly affected when one parent must relocate out of state, especially if he or she is the custodial parent. It will be necessary to modify your existing court order regarding custody and visitation (or parent-time) and support. Sometimes these situations are beyond your control, but each parent should have the opportunity to continue their relationships with their children.

I will work hard to protect your parenting goals and the best interests of your children when you or your child's other parent must move out of state. I, David R. Hartwig, Esq., am a Salt Lake City-based lawyer who can assist with issues arising out of parental relocation, provide personalized service to you, and return your phone calls and emails promptly.

Parenting time, custody and visitation issues often arise when a parent moves

If you or your exspouse move after a divorce, custody, and visitation (or parenting time), will become an issue. This is complicated by the fact that the laws of any number of states may be involved. Interstate compacts or laws will apply in these situations, including:

  • The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (UCCJEA): This Act determines the state that has jurisdiction to decide matters relating to custody and visitation
  • Generally, Utah will retain jurisdiction, if the petition to modify custody or parent-time is quickly filed.

I can provide you with extensive experience in the application of these complex jurisdictional laws. For more than 30 years I have working helping people like you in these types of cases, including handling the seminal appellate case governing these matters in Utah, Case v. Case. I have assisted clients with these issues across the United States and all over the world, including Mexico, England, and Thailand. And, in addition to assisting clients directly, I am available to act as an attorney consultant to out-of-state counsel when these laws are implicated in a child custody dispute.

I also have extensive experience with modifying existing child custody visitation (or parent-time) orders, which is a necessary aspect of parental relocation. I endeavor to keep current on Utah caselaw, and publish comments on pertinent new cases as decisions are released.

I have been assisting families in Utah and throughout the country with relocation; and, I may be able to help you.

Call 801-833-0822 or email me, a Salt Lake City, and South Jordan, Utah-based attorney who can help you when your child must move away with his or her custodial parent. We can then  schedule an initial consultation to discuss your concerns regarding child and parental relocation. I will help you understand the legal issues involved in your case and explain what I can do to help.