Broad Experience, Personal Advice
Your legal issue deserves attention from an experienced lawyer who will provide personal advice you can trust. I am David R. Hartwig, Esq., Attorney and Counselor At Law, in Salt Lake City. I am dedicated to guiding you through the process, educating you about your options and helping you find the best resolution.
Navigating The Legal System
I have more than 30 years of experience helping individuals and families navigate the legal system. My areas of focus include:
- Complex family issues, such as divorce, grey divorce, family law mediation, child custody and high-conflict matters
- Protecting assets through estate planning and probate advice
- Holding other lawyers accountable for mistakes that ruined a case
- Helping clients appeal cases in which an error caused them harm
- Stopping false allegations such as defamation, slander or libel
I will focus on your unique legal problem to find a resolution that fits your needs. I learn the unique facts of your case and use applicable laws to formulate a specific strategy for your situation.
Factors In Child Custody Decisions
As an experienced Utah child custody lawyer, I understand that custody cases may become a contentious issue even years after an order is finalized. The trend in Utah toward joint custody often creates messy, unworkable situations, which ultimately lead to enforcement issues when parents do not abide by their custody orders.
The best interests of the child must be considered, including:
- Whether joint legal or physical custody will benefit the child’s physical, psychological and emotional needs, or the child’s development
- The parents’ ability to give first priority to the child’s welfare, and reach shared decisions in the child’s best interest
- Whether each parent is capable of encouraging and accepting a positive relationship between the child and the other parent
- Whether both parents participated in raising the child before the divorce
- The distance between the parents’ homes
- The parents’ maturity and their willingness and ability to protect the child from conflict that may arise between the parents
- The parents’ ability to cooperate with each other and make decisions jointly
- Any history of, or potential for, child abuse, spouse abuse, or kidnapping
- Any other factors the court finds relevant
Despite the complicated and sensitive nature of custody matters, I have helped many clients successfully establish custody orders.
Get Help With Your Child Custody Issue
If you have a child custody issue, please contact me, David R. Hartwig, Esq. I am an experienced Salt Lake City custody lawyer dedicated to helping clients resolve complex custody issues and implement necessary custody orders. For high-conflict cases, I am also one of the few Utah child custody modification attorneys trained as a Special Master for ongoing dispute resolution.